Lens Recommendations — what would you buy if just getting started?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JackHa2006 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: Lens Recommendations — what would you buy if just getting started?

Cael007 wrote:

I just bought an R5 (thanks to the posts here about Canon’s loyalty program!) after taking a 3-4 year break from photography. I am more or less starting fresh, and since this is my first venture into both full frame and mirrorless/rf mount, I was hoping y’all could help me with lens suggestions since it seems the prosumer level stuff I’d be most interested in is no more, and options are mostly sub $500 non-weather sealed primes or $2.5k+ L glass.

My first question:

- would it be worthwhile to get the EF adapter and pick up older glass? Or should I commit to only RF mount?

- if you were to start over, what lenses would you buy?

- What do you see as the best value in lenses right now? Rf or ef with adapter mounted to an r5

My interests are street, landscapes/hiking, travel, wildlife, and I’m planning to get into videography but haven’t done any to date.

Since this is my first full frame, I’m thinking to start with a combo of:

- rf 35mm f1.8

- the new rf 100-400mm f 5.6-8

And then once I have a better idea of what I want range and speed wise I could pony up for the more expensive L glass. Curious if that’s a decent idea or if I should just cut straight to the L glass. Budget isn’t a huge concern, but I am ultimately a hobbyist so I don’t need nat geo quality (It’d be nice to have a total weather sealed setup and a lens that can take advantage of the r5 though).

sorry this is a little all over the place. Thanks in advance for any help!!

From your list of photography interests:

-rf 100-400mm f 5.6-8: would be a good choice if wild life is your primary subject.

-rf 24-240: is the jack of all trades and can cover all your subject interests but it is a master of none.

-rf 24-105L: gives you prosumer price performance but may be too short for some wildlife.

I'd personally go with the rf 24-105L but I don't do much wildlife.  I'd would rather take the Canon M6 + 18-150mm over the rf 24-240.

JackHa2006's gear list:JackHa2006's gear list
Canon G9 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R6 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow