Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 748
Re: Do you miss larger sensors?

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

I also started out about same time as you with film - but I think your statement that "the difference between FF and a Sony 1" is moot for nearly everyone" and perhaps qualifying it to "difference is not worth the trouble when you are traveling", is way over the top and certainly doesn't reflect my attitude and usage of the wonderful rx100 and a wonderful FF camera, nor do I think I'm a peculiar minority. I think the rx100 + FF a wonderful complementary combination actually, depending on the circumstances. So while obviously, YMMV, I don't think you can speak for "nearly everyone", especially when FF ILC sales are OK and the 1" space seems moribund.

On this board there are a fair number like you who favor FF. In the greater population of photo takers, I'd bet that 99%+ don't give a hang about FF. They probably don't care about 1" either, to be fair. That's why I think it's a moot point for 'nearly everyone'.

If sales are as you describe, perhaps even smaller sensors than 1" are the reason. As in tiny sensor pocketables and cell phones. BTW, I needed a cell phone and got a Pixel 5a - the camera is not nearly as great as I had hoped. Snapshots only.

I do love the rx100 on the road (and other times), sometimes it's all I'll take; but other times it'll be the FF (with a grip and tripod) up a mountain. And yes, in blue hour there's a huge difference between them. And I also like taking pictures of people, where the depth of field control and quick flash refresh options of FF is a significant factor in getting satisfying images. Post-processing doesn't solve that for me.

I do wish that the computational photography advances in smartphones had transferred more into the 1" space, but I don't see that happening.

I can't tell you how much digital PP can do, and that does not include the AI fill-in-the-blank stuff (urgh) we're beginning to see. It has a learning curve, but it's worth it. It's computational photography under your control. For better or worse, I don't think Sony will ever do what Panasonic has done in those terms. I would kill for a focus-stacking mode (and not that ridiculous 3-exposure stuff) in my Sonys.

ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow