Any way to restrict AF range on a7R IV?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The111 New Member • Posts: 6
Any way to restrict AF range on a7R IV?

I'm trying to shoot a small, fast-moving subject, using a 400mm lens + 1.4x TC. FWIW, the subject is a hummingbird darting between salvia flowers. It is generally in the range of 6-12ft from me. MF is kind of out of the question. I have tried every AF setting under the sun with varied success (but usually poor). If the AF is off by a tiny amount, I can understand that and hope for better luck with the next shot. But what kills me is when I have the perfect shot lined up, the focus is very close, and I engage AF and the lens proceeds to explore far off into the wrong direction, taking many seconds to come back down to earth. I know for a fact this subject is in the 6-12ft range. I don't need the lens to double check that infinity might be a good setting right about now, considering how long that check takes.

Is there any in camera setting I can use to help? I.e. to put upper and lower bounds on how far the lens is allowed to explore? Searching for "AF range" I keep coming across this help article, but that appears to be for a different camera. I can't figure out if these settings exist in the a7R IV, but I don't think they do?

In the absence of any such settings... any technique advice?

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow