Looking for a new variable ND filter, any recommendations?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
DNature
OP DNature Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: Looking for a new variable ND filter, any recommendations?

Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:

I would avoid variable ND for outdoor video. Variable ND is still a polarizer, and the same frame area exposure can easily differ when you pan (and sometimes even when you zoom in/out) depending on light source (sun) positioning.

Speaking about color cast - Heliopan and B + W CPL/LPL have minimal color cast. Heliopan sells Vari ND made from their polarizers, not sure about B+W.

In the past any polarizer would develop some color cast after few years of use. Not sure if modern polarizing films are more stable.

I used to have a B+W Variable ND and I noticed that mine did have a slight color cast and when using it on a Panasonic 100-300mm lens (which isn't very sharp) I did notice a slight reduction in sharpness but I only used it with a Panasonic GH4 and that in 2016 so haven't used one on a more modern camera.

I never knew about the color cast issue after using a filter.

After searching, I saw the NiSi Variable ND Filter ND-VARIO 1.5 - 5 Stops. It looks like it might work better for me since the reviews I saw said it didn't have any noticable color cast (the 5-9 stop one did) or reduction in image quality.

It almost lets in as much light as my SLR Magic filter (1.3 vs 1.5 of the NiSi) and I rarely if ever need to use the filter at the darkest anyway so I don't need 6 stops of light reduction, especially when I normally shoot between f/4 and f/5.6 on my Panasonic GH5 since I don't need shallow DOF most of the time as my main subects are landscapes, animals and macro.

-- hide signature --

If find that the best way to live life, is not in the pursuit of material possessions, but its to live in the pursuit of making positive differences to both other people and to the planet as a whole and if you can get others to do similar or the same, so much the better.

DNature's gear list:DNature's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 600D Panasonic GH5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow