Short-eared owl (backlit) in flight at sunset.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
N Deacon
N Deacon Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Short-eared owl (backlit) in flight at sunset.

I used to avoid shooting in hard backlight, but nowadays I fire away and see what I can do with them later. I find that they often take a lot of work to process, with shadows and highlights usually needing work to balance the image properly, but sometimes the results are rewarding. Some hard backlit shots are my favourite images now that I am more experienced in getting the best out of them.

Handheld 500mm f/4 + 1.4x teleconverter in the last rays of the setting sun, ISO3200 and shadows pulled in processing by at least a stop. South Uist, Outer Hebrides, off the west coast of Scotland. Reduced in size for posting and posted in response to a request. Open crop to show the owl's environment, as is my personal preference. I treasure very moment I get to spend close to these birds in their wild, open habitats.

This image looks much better viewed against a dark or black background to my eyes, which seems to be true of most low light owl shots.

N Deacon's gear list:N Deacon's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow