anybody find the differences between Q2-Mono and Q2 B&W mode?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Bonsainz Regular Member • Posts: 372
Re: anybody find the differences between Q2-Mono and Q2 B&W mode?

keithinmelbourne wrote:

HS_Q2 wrote:

just curious of the differences.

Anybody had done some reviews?

I did own a Q2 last year and sold it to help pay for an Sony A1. I recently purchased a Q2M, because shooting in mono adds a challenge, especially when going out on a one lens one camera type of shoot. Finding the suitable compositions with the constraints a Q2M presents really does force me to see differently. That's my excuse, anyway.

As to whether the mono is actually better than the regular Q2, I have noticed a slightly better tonality range with the Q2M, but it is marginal. On the downside, the Q2M blows highlights much more easily than the Q2. In fact, shooting into the sun does cause problems with Q2M files, even DNGs. Will I keep it? The jury is still out for me. The highlight problem is a big issue.

Now we have come out of lockdown where I am, I will have more opportunity to get out and about and use it some more.

I see from your comments that you are a Sony user as well as Leica, I’m currently using Sony A7riv  and A9ii and not that happy with A9ii,

Im looking at adding a Q2 and just keeping the A7riv with serveral primes 24 GM, 55 Zeiss, 85 1.8, 135GM, and 100 400GM,, I’m mainly a landscape shooter, little bit of portraits and wildlife birds but I like results from A7riv better than A9ii I like to be able to crop,

What appeals with Q2 is size a camera to have with you all the time etc, yes for the same money I could add the A1 but I don’t need all it can do sleep etc, on your experience and I see you are in Melbourne where I have just moved to from NZ.

Would love your thoughts on both cameras and a chance to speak with you would be great.

I have always wanted a good Leica but eyesight not what it was for a M series now I feel.

Bonsainz's gear list:Bonsainz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica Q2 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow