New Compression Schemes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,775
New Compression Schemes

I am guessing that Nikon is moving away from the 6 different settings for raw file output sizes.

12 or 14 bit

Uncompressed

Lossless compressed

Compressed

And moving to the new Z9 settings of:

Lossless Compressed

High Efficiency *

High Efficiency

Personally, when I shoot with the D850 - I am usually on 12 bit compressed and sometimes on 14 bit lossless when I know I will need to maximize DR. The file sizes were:

14 bit lossless compressed - 50 to 60 MB file sizes

12 bit compressed - 30 to 36 MB file sizes

It was hard for me to tell the difference in IQ between those 2 settings on the D850. I am sure if they were side to side and there was heavy processing - I could see the difference but just looking at a 12 bit compressed file by itself - I didn't have a problem with them.

From Matt Granger's video - he has states that the Z9 has the follow file sizes, I believe Nikon states all raws are now 14 bit?:

Lossless compressed - approx. 50 MB

High Efficiency * - approx. 30 MB

High Efficiency - approx. 20 MB

I could see for general event photography, I could probably go down to high efficiency without much problems...keep in mind, I rarely took the D850 out for general events - files were just too big even at 12 bit compressed.

A D5 at 12 bit compressed is about 15-18 MB / files but at a much reduced pixel count.

Interesting if the file sizes are true.

Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow