EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
m100 Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Re: To: m100 - Re CPL filters

Marco Nero wrote:

m100 wrote:

Who makes the best polarizer filter for a phone camera ? I really like good ones.

There's perhaps a half a dozen top quality polarizers out there today. But if you want one for an iPhone, the Ultra Wide lens makes it very hard to hide your fingers when you hold one up to the camera module. It's actually easier to use a larger filter or buy a clip on system that accepts a filter so you can keep your fingers out of the way.

My 43mm HOYA 'FUSION' series CPL filter - sold in North America as the "EVO" series.

The best filters that I prefer to use are the relatively new Hoya FUSION (also known as EVO) series filters. The Circular Polariser from this series has nano coatings as well as an oleophobic anti-static coating to repel oils, water and dust. Unless you have a need to expose translucency in water or glass, you're better to avoid fitting one to an iPhone and just use them on camera lenses instead. I tried using a 43mm CPL filter from this series on my iPhone and found the results were almost the same from the camera. These new types of filters, especially the HOYA EVO Antistatic UV types, can allow for 99.80% of light to pass through them... making them ideal for camera use today if light transmission is important. If you don't see the EVO types available, you should be able to source the excellent HOYA Pro1D series of filters. The Pro1D is what I'm presently using as a CPL filter on my RF 85mm f/1.2L USM lens. These are simply excellent to use and are made especially for digital sensors and are more affordable whilst retaining image quality.

iPhone 13 Pro Max - with and without a CPL filter held in front of the lens module.You won't see any difference unless you (1) rotate the filters properly, which requires two hands if it's not attached to a lens or (2) you need to be 90 degrees to the sun's position.

iPhone 13 Pro Max - Using a CPL filter to enhance cloud detail and color plus contrast. Colors were set to "Cool Vivid" when this was taken.

NOT from an iphone - this is the type of banding you might expect to see from a CPL filter on a WIDE lens.

Effect of one of my CPL filters on the sky (Not an iPhone photograph)

The warming effect from a CPL filter in front of my home. It also removed the reflections from the sky over the water.

If you decide to use a CPL filter on an iphone, you may be forced to use whatever you can obtain. Most of the clips for phone-cameras that you can buy online tend to have a filter threaded onto the clip and those filters will be pretty cheaply made. I'd suggest finding out the filter threads and then replace it with a better one if you choose to go down that path.
Another consideration is that the iPhone 13 is so new that most of the accessories like this tend to be made for the iPhone 12 - which in turn has smaller camera optics. You'll need to take that into consideration as well.

Canon EOS M camera - this is the sort of result I aim for when using a CPL filter.

There are no threads on that camera to mount a CPL filter !

When Apple gets serious about photography they will put filter threads on their cameras ?

Those clip on things do no look very pro or max ?

-- hide signature --

" It's a virus that hitches a ride on our love and our trust for other people. "
Dr. Celine Gounder

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow