Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
FuhTeng
OP FuhTeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,495
Re: Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

michaeladawson wrote:

FuhTeng wrote:

The sensor of the Z9 is the key, we all know this. That rapid readout is astonishing. Sure, let the Z9 be the new Nikon flagship. But would Nikon really let DSLRs wither on the vine? The entire F-mount history of the company just go out silently after the D6? I don't believe it.

And I love my D850.

What if Nikon's simply waiting for the Z9 hype to settle down before finally unveiling their last FX DSLR (and I really hope they just come out and say it is the last, rather than just disappearing into the night like Samsung).

So you're still talking about "their last DSLR". Isn't that still "wither on the vine"? All you're doing by releasing a "last FX DSLR" is kicking the withering down the road a few more years.

No. Wither on the vine means to die from inaction or lack of attention. This final D900 is instead a last (because it will be the last, Nikon's not making many, any?, more DSLRs) hurrah of a wonderful technology that's still so relevant for so much but is no longer cutting-edge.

And, importantly, Nikon says "this is it. Our last F-mount camera. Get it while you can. It has everything we can throw at F-mount in it."

That is the antithesis of withering on the vine. This is a beautiful, hard, transition from F-mount to Z.

Thom's articles have pointed out to me, repeatedly, how much messaging matters. This message is powerful and unequivocal.

No, I don't think Nikon will message that way because of hope to let sales slowly fall off (which they're doing anyway). I think that's a mistake. But I'm an engineer, not a marketer.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow