Upscaling a picture - how to do it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563
Re: Upscaling a picture - how to do it?

mdmarqphoto wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

lambertj wrote:

D Cox wrote:

You use a processing program such as Photoshop Elements, Affinity Photo, or the GIMP, -- or almost any other image processing program. IrfanView is a free program that has a Resize option and is easy to use.

However, there is very seldom any point in doing it.

If when making a print the ppi for the paper size is less than the printer's native print resolution (360ppi for Epson, 300ppi for Canon and most other ink jet printers) then you can manually resample the image to the printer's native print resolution or the printer driver will do it automatically for you after you submit the image to the printer.

Can you point me to any Epson or Canon site that states the resolution for their printers in ppi?

I have a fairly modest Epson XP-6005 and according to

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/printers/inkjet-printers/for-home/expression-premium-xp-6005#specifications

The print resolution is 5,760 x 1,440 DPI

That resolution is what it's capable of as far as putting ink droplets on the media, the 360 (or 720 as someone else mentioned) is for what the printer needs to work with for an optimal print. If you send a photo at 5760 ppi to the printer, the driver will actually reduce the resolution - you can't print 1:1 (pixels:dots) in color or grayscale (other than the exact ink colors in your printer). The printer's resolution needs to be higher than the ppi of the image so it can lay down multiple colors to simulate the color in the image. If you need to print an orange pixel in an image, the printer needs to be able to lay down both Yellow and Magenta inks (next to or near each) to create the orange you see.

This is for inkjet and laser printers, dye-sub printers can blend the colors (at least to some degree).

A statement was made by lambertj regarding Canon and Epson printers and I asked where on the manufacturers' sites were native resolutions of 360ppi, or 300ppi or now 720ppi stated.

Neither you nor lambertj have answered that question.  I consider it important because there is some looseness of terminology in this thread regarding pixels and dots.

Whilst I don't use Lightroom it would nonetheless be interesting and useful to know how they determine the DPI figures for their print quality parameters, and even in fact what they mean - eg what does "Fine - 720dpi" or "Superphoto - 2880 dpi" mean in the context of my Epson XP-6005?

I don't have any problem with agreeing that the printer needs many dots to print a pixel and I don't have any issue with understanding that printing x pixels on Y inch long paper gives a x/Y ppi value.  But that isn't my issue with what has been thus far said.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow