P950: What PP can do

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 22,729
Re: Extreme Recovery- What PP can do

André BARELIER wrote:

Eightace wrote:

Do you find you get better results under or over exposing ?

I'd always heard of over exposing but only recently heard of people underexposing.

But your method seems to work.

I don't think it's a method. I think he made a mistake at the time of the shot,

True Andre. Not intended...at least not this much under exposed

but, thanks to his knowledge, he managed to recover the picture brilliantly.

Well...thanks to DXO .

Perhaps he will come back to confirm or deny.

About under or overexposure:

If you overexpose, the risk is to get burnt highlights. A burnt highlight is an area in the picture where there is no information left . In that case, you cannot recover anything.

Well...:)

One can bring back Some over exposed areas...if shooting RAW.

I'll have to find an exampke...someone on another forum used my shot of a waterfall that was over exposed ( I was trying to get milky water effect..but had no ND filter)

The person took that photo ..and another...to show how shooting RAW can bring back some blown highlights. Perhaps it was on a DXO forum...or the retouch forum here.

Underexposure leads to dark shadows. It is very unlikely that you underexpose to the point where there is nothing else than black in the underexposed area.

True. I used the word ' extreme' in my post . far from the norm

That's why you can always recover dark shadows, at the expense of noise.

True. Thabjs to programs like DXO...we can remove most of that noise...and keep most of the details...a tradeoff , as you so well I.ow.

But, as ANAYV said, today, softwares can do wonders at eliminating noise.

Indeed.

That's why, if you're not sure about the risk of blown hghlights, it's better to underexpose, and to bring back the shadows in PP.

I agree.

Shooting raw allows much better recovery than jpeg.

So true. Your insight always apreciated Andre.

ANAYV

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow