Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,496
Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

The sensor of the Z9 is the key, we all know this. That rapid readout is astonishing. Sure, let the Z9 be the new Nikon flagship. But would Nikon really let DSLRs wither on the vine? The entire F-mount history of the company just go out silently after the D6? I don't believe it.

And I love my D850.

What if Nikon's simply waiting for the Z9 hype to settle down before finally unveiling their last FX DSLR (and I really hope they just come out and say it is the last, rather than just disappearing into the night like Samsung).

They already have the pieces, they already have the userbase to buy it, so let's make a super DSLR, what the D780 wishes it could be -

D6 AF (no other DSLR coming so let's just spread that cost out over another body) with all customization

Z7 II sensor (Z9 sensor will be in enormous demand for months, Z7 II is fabulous for everything but fast action and high-resolution video)

D850 body with whatever D6 usability tools will improve it like customizability and rapid settings swaps

Perhaps even that hybrid OVF/EVF I've seen rumored for years and years.

Call it the D900 and price it at $3500 or even $3800. I bet it'd do just fine.

I think every month that goes by without a D500 replacement means there's less chance of an F-mount D500 replacement. Perhaps an APS-C-sized slice of the Z9 sensor will be in a Z90 but I'm skeptical of that too.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +12 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow