Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,993
Re: Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

brick33308 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

- Copy variation. Samyang is notorious for high copy variation, although they're getting better this still suffers to a lesser degree. I've had two copies - one was incredibly sharp with zero CA/fringing, second was noticeably less sharp with lots of fringing. Got a third on the way!

thanks! the copy variations you mention - was it this 35/1.8 lens specifically?

Samyang in general

Apparently the older lenses even if good tended to go out of alignment much faster than higher quality sony/zeiss/sigma lenses, and there was a significant copy variation from new as well. Sony and Zeiss all suffer from this anyway to varying degrees - some significant - but for sure they were better built than the Samyangs of old. Recent Samyangs appear to getting better and better. I've had 2x35/1.8, 1x75/1.8, 1x24/1.8, 1x85/1.4 and they were all superbly sharp except for one copy of the 35 (which had physical damage, so good chance it had been dropped/knocked in it's lifetime).

I think I got excited and made a mistake. I pulled the trigger on the Samyang 351.8 even though the new A7iv won't arrive until first couple of weeks of January, and by that time my return period to B&H will have expired. Not sure what I should do if there's a decent chance I won't get a good copy.

Update: spoke to B&W and I have until end of January to return the lens if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have the A7iv by then, test the lens and be happy with it.

Yeah B&H, Adorama, and Amazon all do extended return periods this time of year, good luck with your A7 IV wait! I suppose you could always return it closer to the end of the window if there's still no signs of the body shipping, Google the upside down or four corner tests for some easier/quicker tests than brick wall hunting.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow