Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
brick33308
OP brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,184
Re: Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

newdom wrote:

- Copy variation. Samyang is notorious for high copy variation, although they're getting better this still suffers to a lesser degree. I've had two copies - one was incredibly sharp with zero CA/fringing, second was noticeably less sharp with lots of fringing. Got a third on the way!

thanks! the copy variations you mention - was it this 35/1.8 lens specifically?

Samyang in general

Apparently the older lenses even if good tended to go out of alignment much faster than higher quality sony/zeiss/sigma lenses, and there was a significant copy variation from new as well. Sony and Zeiss all suffer from this anyway to varying degrees - some significant - but for sure they were better built than the Samyangs of old. Recent Samyangs appear to getting better and better. I've had 2x35/1.8, 1x75/1.8, 1x24/1.8, 1x85/1.4 and they were all superbly sharp except for one copy of the 35 (which had physical damage, so good chance it had been dropped/knocked in it's lifetime).

I think I got excited and made a mistake. I pulled the trigger on the Samyang 351.8 even though the new A7iv won't arrive until first couple of weeks of January, and by that time my return period to B&H will have expired. Not sure what I should do if there's a decent chance I won't get a good copy.

Update: spoke to B&W and I have until end of January to return the lens if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have the A7iv by then, test the lens and be happy with it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow