How to assign a shortcut button for mech/electronic shutter?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Cristi CC Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: How to assign a shortcut button for mech/electronic shutter?

Dan W wrote:

Cristi CC wrote:

Custom modes C1, C2, C3 are already assigned.

Shortcut to my menu already there.

But none of this can't replace a simple push of a button - fast and effective and no need to take the camera from the eye if assigned to a button.

I found R5 an profesional camera and I think almost everything must be customizable for everyone needs. But still not as i can see.

Shutter type is one of that principal settings that must be very easy to change for a mirrorless camera. But Canon is still a traditional manufacturer, not that open to new style of shooting characteristic to a mirrorless camera.

Also electronic shutter speed no longer than 0,5 second i found is a very weird thing and it was a very bad surprise for me.

May I ask why you need electronic shutter with 1/2 second or longer exposures? For me, all I see a use for the electronic shutter is when you need the 20fps (and how many people really need that?). Yea silent mode for quite events or the like but I can barely hear the mechanical shutter as it is, and thats in my face!.

I feel the same people that complain about all the things they wish cameras could do are the same ones that complain about how complicated the menu systems are. Look at Sony, arguably a very good camera brand with a ton of customization. But once you go through the menu you will quickly realize how convoluted it really is.

You ever own a car with dozens of buttons and knobs on the dash? Then you get into an Audi or VW and it instantly feels like a luxury minimalist vehicle? Then you fall in love. Or that washing machine with 20 different wash cycles, then you find you only use like 2 of them?

When I pick up my camera I want to be able to start shooting right then. I don't want to fiddle with things and try to remember what button does what since I last changed it. I spent hours setting up my R5 and testing things when I first got it and I haven't changed a thing since. The only thing I forget is how much I love shooting with it each time I pick it up...

I can't think of one thing that I would use 20fps for but if I do ever need it I'll change it for that shoot and put if back to mechanical shutter when the shoot is over. I don't do machine gun shooting outside of bracketing 3-5 frames. And to be honest I have a very hard time taking a single shot when the camera is in 12fps mode. I don't do weddings anymore but when I did I would take a few hundred images and try to sort down and edit around 40 images to show the newlyweds. Why would I want to sort 1000-2000 images to get that same 40 images to proof???

I want to do everything with a camera at this level. If i want 60 seconds on silent shutter for star trails or 20 secs for MilkyWay timelapse, why not? On Olympus i have all of this and even the processing in the camera, no need to edit something after shooting.

I don't complain about nothing, i just was unpleasantly surprised to see a top camera with a lot of drawbacks. On R5 are not more or less buttons compared to similar cameras from the other brands.

Maybe is weird for some, but the most easiest to use camera was Sony A7III. Some are complaining about the menu, but not me. I am very adaptable to not matter menus from Nikon, Canon, Olympus (which is by far the most complex and sophisticated one). The camera is a tool. And a simple button to setup for a modern camera is nothing special. It seems Canon is not that well adapted (yet) to mirrorless.

Olympus shoot with continuous autofocus in silent shutter RAW at 30fps. Or even 60fps but with the same focus from the first shot. Not talking about PRO Capture function.

These days the camera must not be the limiting factor, but the person behind it. Time is changing.

Unfortunately the Olympus does not make FF cameras. Sony has some problems with the reliability on long therm and Canon is still too conservatory.

In the end any camera is just a tool, but when you pay a small fortune on one the expectations are justified.

I really love my R5 and i am a bit frustrated 'cause is heating, the battery is not at the same level with Sony and still are some thing not very well polished for a mirrorless system.

The R5 with some tweaking can be the most closest to a nearly perfect camera.

Cristi CC's gear list:Cristi CC's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow