Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
pollup Senior Member • Posts: 1,304
Re: Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

brick33308 wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Not so much speed as accuracy. Comparing some test images where I used AF-S the Samyang's focus was off in a few. The very low amount of breathing on the Sony also makes focusing look better.

I don't follow. Isn't accuracy a function of the AF function of the camera? The lens simply needs to quickly move to the focus point determined by the camera I would think. Is that incorrect?

It's correct.

But it's not simple, that's the thing, one lens might take more time to do that than another. Or it might not be as precise as another lens, there is always some error associated with this.

Examples:

- say if the camera tells the lens: focus at 0.305 meters, and the lens does 0.304, well that's a small error, it could matter sometimes.

- the lens might focus to 0.300 quickly, and then take a long time to reach the 0.305. It's really down to the motors and the algorithms inside the lens.

pollup's gear list:pollup's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Canon EOS 550D +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow