Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
newdom Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

brick33308 wrote:

I've narrowed down my choices for a 35mm lens to use for street work with the A7iv I've got on order. Does anyone have an opinion why I should get the Sony over the Samyang?

I've had both of these lenses at the same time for comparison. TBH they're very similar lenses, given very similar performance, with slight pros and cons over each other.

___

Sony:

+ Good MFD - 22cm/0.24x

+ Very little focus breathing, great for video

+ Better AF on older bodies (I have an A7Rii, I got more keepers with the Sony)

- Expensive

- Build quality OK, not G quality

- Sharpness OK but not great

___

Samyang:

+ Cheap

+ Lighter, Smaller (63m vs 73cm, 210g vs 281g)

+ More complex lens construction, should be better corrected (Aspherical: 2 vs 1, Low Dispersion: 2 vs 0)

+ Super sharp, IF you get a good copy

+ AF still very good for a 3rd party lens

+ Useful programmable switch, so you can turn manual focus ring into aperture ring

+ Shares filter size with rest of tiny range

- Meh build quality. Feels cheap but think this is deliberate design for lightness

- Copy variation. Samyang is notorious for high copy variation, although they're getting better this still suffers to a lesser degree. I've had two copies - one was incredibly sharp with zero CA/fringing, second was noticeably less sharp with lots of fringing. Got a third on the way!

___

I don't think you can go wrong with either, they're both great small, light f1.8 'general purpose' lenses. For my eyes the Samyang is much better value for money and is better optically (if you get a good copy), whereas the Sony has a bit better AF, more useful MFD and no focus breathing if you're into video.

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow