EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AlgarvePhotography Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Lars wrote:

AlgarvePhotography wrote:

I don't think anyone is comparing an R5 with 100-500 to a smartphone.

Well. The tread title says R6 vs Iphne 13 Pro. It IS about comparing to a FF camera.

My R5 with 100-500 with 2x extender means I can get reach no smartphone can emulate. My RF70-200 2.8 has far better quality and the bokeh from the RF28-70 is jaw-droppingly fantastic.

What we can begin to do is compare a smartphone with high-end P&S cameras like the Sony RX100 series given that the new Sony Xperia Pro-I has the same sensor and, early reviews suggest, better software.

I really liked my Sony RX100 cameras, ideal for slipping into a pocket and going for a walk. We can now do that with a smartphone and get the same quality. Amazing really and goes a whole lot further than just making calls and texting.

The Sony Phone will have a 1" sensor, but will actually only use a much smaller portion of that sensor. So it remains to be seen what the real benefit over a Iphone 13" will be. But my RX100 V indead stays home a lot now.

The iphone 13 IS worthy of comparison as a photography tool to a FF camera in terms of ease of use and other practical considerations as already discussed, especially if the end-user only shares images on small screens.

I was responding specifically to the REACH from an R5 with 100-500....no smartphone can do that with any degree of acceptable clarity. Samsung's headline 100x zoom is rubbish and pure marketing nonsense.

Early reviews absolutely demonstrate that the Sony smartphone IS better than the iPhone et al already - it has proper bokeh, not artificial and it does seem to be using the whole sensor, it even adjusts real aperture from 2.0 - 4.0, you can see the blades move.

The fact is, smartphones at the high-end ARE viable alternatives now for many photographers who do not want to carry a larger piece of equipment with them all the time. Obviously if you are a very serious amateur wanting to push personal artistic/creative limits or Pro wedding photographer, sports or wildlife, you will want full-size tools with specific lenses and accessories for the job at hand. If not, today's smartphones are pretty good alternatives for most photography applications.

I have the R5, nice RF lenses, GoPro 10, DJI drones, iPhone 13 - a lot of choice and ALL have their place, all take nice pictures for social media sharing and I like that I am able to have a camera on my person at all times that can deliver, whether I'm training for my next MTB race, road race, hiking, walking the dog, on holiday or just relaxing in my garden.

AlgarvePhotography's gear list:AlgarvePhotography's gear list
Canon EOS R5 GoPro Hero9 Black Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow