Sony A7Riii + Sony 200-600 + ... Sony 1.4x teleconverter? Any good?

Started Nov 6, 2021 | Discussions thread
James C. Murray Senior Member • Posts: 2,097
Re: Sony A7Riii + Sony 200-600 + ... Sony 1.4x teleconverter? Any good?

Scott Alan wrote:

Djehuty wrote:

pyloricantrum wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if the Sony A7Riii will autofocus using the Sony 200-600 + Sony 1.4x teleconverter at the 600mm range of the lens. I read that the A7Riii may not be able to AF with such combos when the maximum aperture exceeds F9. Has anybody gotten this combination to work sufficiently well and/or reliably? I have read a prior post or two about this on this forum but wanted to get an updated input into this.

Depends on available light actually, not the aperture settings. AF will hunt and phase detection stops working even if you're wide open where there isn't enough light.

There is a hard stop of PD AF at greater than F8 on the A7RIII no matter how much light. But yes even at wider or less than F8 CDAF may kick in in certain situations such as low light.

I use the combination you are asking about.

The issue with the 1.4 TC on the 200-600 with the A7r3 is that the widest aperture available is F/9. (Edit, At least at max focal length).

This imposes limitations involving AF as previously mentioned, IE Contrast Detect only.

There are also other limitations.

From the Manual, (as quoted from Mark Galer's video) :

When F value is greater than F/8 in [Continuous shooting: Hi+ ],

[Continuous Shooting: Hi] or [Continuous Shooting; Mid] mode, the focus is locked to the setting in the first shot.

The subject is not displayed in real-time on the monitor or viewfinder when shooting in [Continuous Shooting: Hi+] Mode.

IE, Hi+ is 10 FPS so you need to use HI which is 8 FPS.

Mark Galer explains this in his A7R3 setup for action photography video.

For my own use I find that the 1.4 TC on the A7R3 does work, well as far as I am concerned, but you do need to be aware of theF/9 limitations so I pretty well confine it to static subjects and tripod as the AF needs time.

I also am lucky enough to have an A9 for action and the 200-600 + 1.4 TC and that works well as far as I am concerned.

Hope this is of some use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow