Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ahaslett
ahaslett Forum Pro • Posts: 10,334
Re: Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

brick33308 wrote:

I've narrowed down my choices for a 35mm lens to use for street work with the A7iv I've got on order. Does anyone have an opinion why I should get the Sony over the Samyang?

I spent a lot of time recently looking at 35mm lenses.  Ended up with an adapted Tamron 35/1.4 for landscape (a whale) and a Samyang 35/1.8 for the small light prime.  For stills and non-action shots, there is little to choose between the Samyang and Sony, maybe even comes down to copy variation.  I have an average copy of the Samyang and Rol has a golden one.  I’m quite happy.

If I had been buying only one 35mm for something like street, I’d take the Sigma 35/2 every time.  It’s optically better than the other two, both of which have LoCA wide open.

deednets posted a lot of shots with a Sigma 35/2 recently - have a look at those.

I have a folder of test shots with my Samyang, if that might help.  An A7R4 is pretty punishing as a lens test, if you like peeping.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow