anybody find the differences between Q2-Mono and Q2 B&W mode?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,467
Re: anybody find the differences between Q2-Mono and Q2 B&W mode?

I own both cameras. As mentioned by others, the Q2M has much better high ISO performance, making it a killer camera for low light photography.

But aside from that, the quality of B&W images is noticeably superior at all ISOs with the Monochrom. I'm referring to tonality, detail and a sense of presence. In shadow areas especially, there seems to be endless detail that you can just keep pulling and pulling and... I have gotten many excellent B&W prints from the Q2, which does have the advantage of tonal flexibility, but for someone who really cares about B&W photography (and has the financial means), the Q2 Monochrom is the camera to get. I have yet to hear of any Q2M owner who does not feel the same way, although there are some who sold theirs, because they found that they were not using it enough to justify keeping.

Addendum: I want to be clear that I am referring to Q2 with raw capture and B&W conversion in post-processing. B&W jpegs out-of-camera do not belong in the conversation.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow