EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AlgarvePhotography Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

99.9% of people who take photos regularly couldn’t care less about the pixel-peeping debate and simply want a decent-looking image for sharing via social media. Smartphones do this adequately.

The iPhone 13 Pro is much better at this than earlier models and better than the 12 in low light.

The iPhone is absolutely not the leader when it comes to smartphone photography, despite what Apple and Americans want to think. HTC led the way years ago, Huawei and Samsung have had superior cameras since - the current S21 Ultra is every bit as competitive against the new iPhone with an improved S22 landing in February. 
That said, the Sony Pro model about to land with the 1” sensor could be a big evolution for smartphones. 
My R5 with 70-200 2.8 or 100-500 blows my iPhone 13 away for image quality, reach and fps. Indeed, all my lenses on that body beat the iPhone comfortably. Fantastic for those of us who want that. 
But we shouldn’t be snobbish and look down upon those who are happy with their smartphone photography; there are some truly excellent images taken by very good photographers on smartphones that are nicer to view than those produced by many folk using high-end dedicated camera systems. The Photographer still accounts for much of the end product.

Would I recommend an iPhone 13 Pro over and R6? Absolutely! I have friends for whom the abilities of the R6 are lost. They enjoy taking pictures. They love the composition aspect and want convenience over carrying and learning a dedicated system. They want to share on smaller screens and make small prints. For those photographers, smartphones are viable as being an option for their best tool. For those who want extra creativity, more control, larger image sizes, better solutions for harder to capture subjects etc and maximum quality then dedicated systems are best for them. 
I race MTB and road bikes at a good level, I train 3-5 hours a day but I welcome those on e-bikes and social cyclists equally; they want to ride, they enjoy riding - it is to be encouraged. Similarly, I welcome photographers not as serious as I am - and I imagine there are photographers far more serious about their hobby than me who are also focussed upon everyone enjoying the medium rather than wanting to belittle based upon kit choices and needs that are different to their own.

Bottom line: the iPhone 13 Pro can be a valid choice over an R6 for many people.

AlgarvePhotography's gear list:AlgarvePhotography's gear list
Canon EOS R5 GoPro Hero9 Black Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow