Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,997
Re: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

newdom wrote:

Impulses wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

cosmo08 wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

I've narrowed down my choices for a 35mm lens to use for street work with the A7iv I've got on order. Does anyone have an opinion why I should get the Sony over the Samyang?

Now you are making me review images again.

They are more similar than different. The Sony has the advantage as far as focusing and just working better. Also slightly better contrast. The Samyang has less corner shading stopped down and less lateral CA. It might be a bit better for landscapes, but it doesn't hold up against the Tamron 35mm F2.8 for that.

I just picked up a Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 too.

Can you say few words about your experience with Samyang AF 35mm F1.4? I have one, but I see that (almost) nobody even mentions in in the battle of various 35mm, including 35 1.4 by Sigma (more expensive) and Sony (even more expensive). I do not use it often (like short or longer FL), but when I use it, it sometimes pleasantly surprises me.

It seems really nice so far. Of the three Samyang AF F1.4's the 35mm seems to be the best. I also just returned a misaligned Sony A-mount 35mm F1.4 G and the Samyang is so much better than that old lens. I am not sure why people are spending over $2,000 on the original Minolta versions of that one. I've also tried what was probably a misaligned FE 35mm F1.4 ZA at a store. So many disappointing ZA's out there.

Why the heck? To use them on A mount bodies or...? I would think the GM would be the obvious choice on E mount if you've got that kinda $ to spend. I'm curious to see how much SY has improved the AF of their oldest E mount lenses via firmware, I've heard good things, makes sense they'd wanna do a 50/1.4 II to take another swing at that... The 85/1.4 looks pretty great too.

https://www.samyanglens.com/en/product/product-view.php?seq=555

Huh, I was expecting an update of the old design but that looks like an all new optical formula and design, with some of the features of their tiny f1.8 series, and the aesthetics of the recent 12/2 AF (which look more modern IMO). Really interesting, I'm not much of a 50mm shooter but a 50/1.4 at 420g & 3.5" long is definitely noteworthy.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow