Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,997
Re: Samyang 35/1.8 vs Sony 35/1.8

AF speed for stills should be pretty close if my experience with the Samyang 45/1.8 vs the Sony 35/1.8 is any indication, but the Sony seemed more consistent when using AF in video... The Sony also has a shorter MFD than any of the small 3rd party 35mm alternatives (pretty much the same as the GM) and that's a useful creative advantage.

Those things won't necessarily be worth double the price for a lot of people tho. I wish my SY45 would let me use the focus ring to adjust aperture like the 35 can but there's no Custom switch on the 45. I bought the Sony 35/1.8 before the Sigma 35/2 or the 35GM were even announced, I think even the SY 35/1.8 wasn't out at the time, then bought the 45/1.8, then the GM.

I think I'll get rid of the Sony in the long run but they're all solid choices, I think the Sigma is worth a look too for it's rendering and aperture wheel if nothing else but it's got worse sealing than the others (only at the mount IIRC) and it's the heaviest.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow