EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
OP Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,431
To: Dave Seeley - re: ProCam for iPhone 13 Pro

Dave Seeley wrote:

Thanks Marco for doing this comparison. Great to hear it from someone I trust. I sold off my M system a year ago, and am converted to R5 w my R as a backup. As a result, my R is now my travel cam, so It'd be great to know I can leave that home for friends and family visits. I look forward to your future assessment.

Hey Dave,
There's been some concern that the iPhone 13 cameras aren't always delivering perfect shots and I've sometimes seen this myself. It's somewhat rare but it does indeed happen. It appears to be computational in nature.
As a result, I've just been testing the good old 'ProCam' App on the new iPhone. It has updated itself after I migrated the App to my new phone from the older one and it recognizes all the new features of the new phone. The Auto Focus and image output from this App is more reliable than the images straight from the native Apple Camera App. If I have time I'll put up a thread on this subject shortly but the difference in performance and image quality is greatly improved if/when using this App. I'm still experimenting with the iPhone 13 Pro cameras but it's good to know that this App fills in any shortcomings from the Apple Camera App. I just ran some side-by-side experiments here in very low light and the differences between images captured by the Camera App and the ProCam App were notably varied. All the shots from the ProCam were very sharp but not oversharpened. This suggests that any hint of unreliability from the native App can be resolved easily with an update from Apple. The iPhone 13 Pro camera module generally performs quite well on its own but occasionally generates a slightly softer image without cause or reason.
A day in the city with the native Camera App yielded good results in general with most images being decent enough for me to consider leaving my cameras at home in future.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow