When will we be able to autofocus screwdriver lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
DaveR43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,560
Re: When the Zf is released...

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

The FTZ II came out, but much to my disappointment, it still can't autofocus a Nikon AF or AF-D "screwdriver" lens.

Sony's LA-EA5 adapter has a motor for focusing their screwdriver A mount lenses on E bodies, in addition to a motor for the aperture. They did that, but still beat Nikon on weight, size, and price.

If I stick that on a Techart Sony E to Nikon Z adapter, I can autofocus screwdriver Sony (and Minolta) A mount lenses on my Z.

Techart and Megadapt have adapters with autofocus motors for Leica M lenses, so I can autofocus those on the Z, too.

The only lenses I own that I can't autofocus are my AF and AF-D Nikkors.

Come on, Nikon, give us an FTZ equivalent of a Sony LA-EA5. Pretty please.

(OK, rant over)

The Nikon Df provided more support for older lenses than any other DSLR; quote from Nikon web site:

"The Nikon Df DSLR is unique in that it can be used with many of the legacy NIKKOR lenses produced since 1959. The camera features an enhanced lens mount that works with current AF-S lenses as well as AF-D and AF lenses, and Ai (Aperture index) and Non-Ai lenses."

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/products-and-innovation/using-legacy-nikkor-lenses-with-the-nikon-df.html

The logical time to introduce an FTZ for screwdriver lenses is at the same time as Nikon introduces a Zf: a full-frame retro-style body.  And it would also be logical for it to have the same legacy support as the Df, or at least close to it.

-- hide signature --

DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow