For about the same price..RF 70-200mm F/4 or EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS iii ?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 8,573
Re: For about the same price..RF 70-200mm F/4 or EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS iii ?

Luis Gabriel Photography wrote:

This one got me a bit confused...on the one hand I l like fast lenses (I shoot primarily with a Sigma 105mm 1.4) but on the other hand, this lens will be used mostly in the studio for the flexibility of that focal range.

Size is nice on the RF of course but not a big deal in my case as if I wanted to use it outdoors like for some event, I will rather be using the 2.8
That is where my confusion is. They can be found around the same price in the used market (the RF F4 and the EF 2.8 version 3).
I guess the main issue

I think the main issue is size and weight.  If you got the 5DIII + 70-200mm f/2.8 at the age of 50, and you've replaced the 5DIII recently with the R6, that sensor is sooooo much better for high ISO performance.  All you wanna do is getting rid of the weight.

Some might have gotten the 5DIII at the age of 20 or 30, but the majority of customers isn't that young anymore I guess.....

is that I experienced focusing issues with the EF 70-200mm mark II version and the R5 where my other lenses all pretty much never miss (all 3 are Sigma lenses).
So that makes me want to go with the RF but that F/4 still bothers me even for my usage. And of course, the 2.8 RF version I just feel is too expensive, and not happy with the focus breathing making it 200mm shorter (although it does focus closer than most).
I am usually very clear about what lens I need but this one got me second-guessing.
Anyone has compared both?

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow