EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Thomas A Anderson Senior Member • Posts: 1,091
Re: Just because you can...

grenow wrote:

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

So while some people truly are satisfied with phone photography and freely admit they aren't terribly concerned with the technicalities of photography, others choose to lower their standards and come up with justifications for it.

Sorry, Thomas, but this is so wrong. Ultimately, photography is about image making, not about gear.

So do you shoot with a 4MP camera that was made in 2003?

Photography is about the image AND the gear.  The gear may be a secondary concern, but only insofar as it will allow for the creative intent of the artist to exist AT ALL.

A photographer can choose from a wide range of tools, all of equal validity if they produce the images the photographer is seeking.

Sure.  And someone once told me that she could take images of lightning with her smartphone.  I told her that yes that is possible, but a proper camera gives one so many more creative options at which point I spelled out what you could do and exactly how that was possible with a nice camera but not a phone.  She simply replied with "well who would want to do all that anyway."  As with so many things, until you see a creation it may be difficult to understand why anyone would go to such much trouble to create it.  Funny enough she majored in art history in college, but in the case of photography unlike sculpture or painting, going to very much trouble just seemed like such a ludicrous suggestion.

A photographer doesn’t “lower their standards”

A photographer might not (although they honestly very often do) but the typically snapshooter absolutely does, and convenience weighs much more heavily with some than others.

by choosing to work with a camera that doesn’t meet some arbitrary idea of seriousness or quality.

It has nothing to do with an arbitrary standard, it's just about what one is willing to tolerate and how they will allow their tools to limit their photography.  I didn't say all people did this, I said that some do.

The choice of tool is a part of the image-making process - a part of the art. Working with vintage film cameras is every bit as valid as working with an R3 or Z9. Restricting options often stimulates creativity. As does offering new ones.

The trick with limits engendering creativity is the honesty with which one approaches their own craft.  The instance I discuss above is a case of some, not all, allowing extreme convenience to become a way for cognitive dissonance to overwhelm other desires or needs.  It's just as easy to convince oneself that a convenient tool will do things it won't as it is for one to falsely convince oneself that an expensive tool will improve one's creative ability when that is rarely the limiting factor.  And we all know people who own R5's who purchased that expensive camera thinking that's the trick to being a good photographer and yet they know almost nothing about using the camera or photography in general.  Both sides of that spectrum exist in spades.

Thomas A Anderson's gear list:Thomas A Anderson's gear list
Canon EOS R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow