ON1 Photoraw 2022 plugin capability

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,634
Re: I can see SOME advantage to the consumer. . .

From a software developer standpoint, having the same code for the same function is the way to go.  The interface changes - with the plugin, it has to work with Photoshop and with Affinity.  They have well known interfaces.  In the same way, ON1's standalone mode can be seen as a platform similar to what Lightroom, Photoshop, Affinity provides.  The same plugins should do the same thing - the only thing that will change is the interface between the plugin code and the "control program" - in this case, Affinity Photo, Lightroom, Photoshop, ON1 standalone.  You want as much of the code to be reusable.  If you change the noise reduction code, for example, you change it on the base code only, unless there are other things that need to change to be able to bring the changes back from the plugin to the "control program."  Besides, if I owned both products and I got different results from ON1 Noise on the standalone ON1 program and using ON1 noise as a plugin, I will not be terribly happy.  That would mean that I may have to use a different workflow with the same program (plugin or part of the standalone).

As I said, it's probably a revenue generating move.  I don't mind that at all.  What I objected to was that there was no easy way, initially, to buy the plugins if you already owned the standalone version (Photoraw 2022).  ON1 came through for me.  Had they made the offer available to begin with, I would not have objected so vociferously as I did.  They effectively dropped the price of the standalone version but when you buy the plugins it's slightly higher than the previous price of the product that worked both ways.  I don't have a problem with that.  The initial double the price deal was not great.  They fixed that.  A testament to a company that listens to their customers.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow