ON1 Photoraw 2022 plugin capability

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,120
I can see SOME advantage to the consumer. . .

Whether that advantage is enough for you, is a different issue.

Separating the single product into two allows each new line to be tailored to the needs of each's consumer base. The concerns (and subsequent compromises) that a feature might be weaker in one mode than in the other because they must share the same underlying code is eliminated. With two lines, each new feature can be implemented in the best way possible for that mode.

I suspect that is part of the reason Topaz's DNG conversion is weaker than DXO's is that the shared code is more plugin oriented and is built around the expectation that the product would receive an already developed bit mapped file. It wouldn't surprise me to see that eventually happen in the Topaz line as well; so that each mode can be developed more according to user expectations.

Then too, this might generate more income, allowing for more interest in developing the lines more aggressively.  That benefits everyone and is not a small consideration when you are in 2nd or 3rd place.

-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow