RF 16 f/2.8 for Astro Landscapes ?!?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andreas_F Contributing Member • Posts: 500
RF 16 f/2.8 for Astro Landscapes ?!?

I view the 16mm f/2.8 primarily as lightweight wide-angle solution for travel when I don't want to carry my WA zoom. It nicely complements the 24-105 in that role. It would be great if it could double as astro lens when more establishes solutions like my Rokinon 14mm are not available.

Below is a shot I took a couple of days ago and a screen grab from a 100% view. No corrections were applied. Also shown are images of the same scene with the Rokinon 14mm f.2,8. The images are not processed exactly the same way but the comparison might still be useful. The RF16 clearly shows a lot more coma and pretty serious vignetting, which leads to stars disappearing on the edges and in the corners. However, I am quite pleased with the results considering the price and weight of this lens. I think it'll do in a pinch. Let me know what you think...

Canon R5, RF 16mm at f/2,8, ISO3200, 20s

same as above; 100% crop, upper left corner

Canon R5, Rokinon 14mm at f/2,8, ISO3200, 30

Same as above; 100% crop, upper left corner; some star trailing visible at 30s. Should have stuck to 20s

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow