How many dual-system users are there here? And if so: why?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 6,159
Sony and Olympus

I've been dual system for decades.  I used to be Canon and Olympus.  Now I'm Sony and Olympus.
Some of my best recent landscapes have been with the Olympus Em1x in Hand Held Hi-Rez Mode, which when the content allows is like cheating.  That mode, for the non-Olympus users here, combines 16 shots in camera so you get lower noise than the FF, about 50mp of clear, color accurate per pixel, output.  Where I'd want to use a tripod on the Sony system  (early sunrise shots of the Teton's for instance), the Olympus easily does the hand held.

On the other hand, I'm loving my recent upgrade to the A1 in Sony land.  The colors, which historically have been one of my main reasons I like Olympus, finally are very very good.  
I have a pretty good set of lenses for both systems.  Size strongly favors the Olympus system when you consider lens size and weight.  But the newest GM primes on the Sony side are some of the absolute best lenses I've ever worked with.  (14 1.8, 50 1.2, 35 1.4 and 85 1.4). 
I've got the 200-600 on the Sony side and I've had the 150-400 on order on the Olympus side for a long time.  The 200-600 now, with the A1, has become a stellar performer.  
Depending on what the next halo camera is from Olympus in 2022, that will tell me where the Olympus world is going now that the ownership has changed.  It's possible I'll consolidate to one system, but that 150-400 from Olympus is one of the very best lenses for birding in a zoom I've ever seen.   Also, newer sensor tech (the new organic panasonic sensor tech looks fascinating), will increase the overlap between the two systems.

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Sony a1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow