EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,736
Let's Adjust to Realities

And these are realties that have been around for several years now. Like it or not, phone cameras will keep getting better and are destined to narrow the gap with dedicated cameras. Like it or not, most of our photos will be viewed on their screens.

Yesterday was an advanced Halloween celebration in our gated community. Around 200 families participated. I was tasked to be one of the three photographers and was assigned on the main road which gave me a great vantage point. Took around 800 photos with the R6, which btw had around 10 shots that were out of focus. Amazing camera. People were walking, kids were running. And you know, kids seldom run on a straight line. Zigzag is an understatement. The R6 captured them nonetheless. That's not the point.

When I shared the photos over Dropbox, the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Not bad for pro bono service 😁 The fact is 70% of them viewed the photos on their phones. The 30% who viewed them on big monitors and smart TVs were the only ones who were floored by the clarity and by the small details ("That ice cream on my toddler's nose is sooooo cute!“). They're the ones who recommended to others to watch the photos on their TVs. I can imagine very few would bother as most of them began downloading and sharing on FB and IG anyway which is the end game for them.

I used a camera and lens combo in the neighborhood of 4.5k USD, for photos to be viewed in phones - this is one perspective. The other perspective is the more than a dozen of requests for permission to print the photos of their kids. Bottomline as photographer, doesn't matter to me. I merely wanted to document the neighborhood kids' first trick or trick since the pandemic started.

I took several photos too using my phone btw. And merged them with R6 photos on same folder. Do you think anyone bothered to say "Oh your smartphone pics were dismal compared to the ones you took with the R6" or not? I guess you know the answer. The heck - one of the parents decided to print a pic of his five-year-old daughter in Squid Game "uniform" that I took with my phone!

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow