EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Eddie Rizk Senior Member • Posts: 1,222
Re: Just because you can...

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

higheronymous wrote:

I don't understand people who are so vehemently pro iPhone. Perhaps they enjoy living in a fantasy world where the details are all filled in by a computer program. Now, don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a fine once in awhile camera but I would actually appreciate it more if it had less of the digital BS in it. I guess that is something we'll never get because of the opinions of all the "experts" on this god awful planet. Lets just pray to the lord Jesus that Canon does not head down this route too far and we continue to get real photographic equipment and not pseudo reality BS.

Humans operate on narratives that they tell themselves about the world and their place in it. We have an ongoing story in our head, and we are the star. Making compromises or acknowledging the truth about our standards can be very unpleasant because then it's almost like we're not living our best life or just making the best, most admirable decisions.

So when a device like a smartphone comes along that is with us always and is so incredibly useful and is also incredibly expensive, it's easy to tell ourselves a story about that device that is....not a lie necessarily, but an exaggeration. So rather than admitting to ourselves that we really don't care about flexibility, detail, carrying around a bulky item, learning about a complex process like photography, and all of the other inconveniences that a hobby like photography entails, we instead tell ourselves that this tool is perfectly in line with our desires.

Which so may are. That's why we buy them.

Different tools are best for different situations

So while some people truly are satisfied with phone photograph

, as I am now for those times that I don't carry a dedicated camera,

y and freely admit they aren't terribly concerned with the technicalities of photography,

, particularly for small screen viewing, such as phones and smaller tablets,

others choose to lower their standards and come up with justifications for it.

Or take the same pictures with a dedicated camera as before AND add new photos that they simply missed before.

Pure documentation photos are well covered by the phone, even my 12 PM. The ultra wide angle and night mode allow me to document any room or exterior view of any real estate I tour.  (That does actually replace some use of the real camera.)

Promotional shots for MLS or professional brochures? No. Not at all. Clients want quality and sometimes print photos of their better properties. Customers (as in potential buyers) will look at them on bigger screens and often zoom in to examine details.

Snap shots of people in interesting situations are now, for me, acceptable. I typically share such shots online or by text.

Portraits or photos of significant events? No. Not at all. Those might get printed or viewed on computer and evaluated as real photos.

The phone can capture the beauty of a scene, a sunset, or a creative composition. The caller can then show others, who will be impressed as long as they are not blowing it up big.

Only phone photos taken in the bright light with Pro RAW and computer processing will look good in larger prints or screens. I'm not going to do all of that with a phone picture.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow