I'm a bit confused

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,761
I'm a bit confused

DPR says:

"The camera's buffer is deep enough to let the camera shoot at this rate for over 1000 frames, if you're shooting JPEG or using the new HE Raw compression option.

Raw compression options

To cope with the large number of large files the Z9 will so readily produce, Nikon has added two new Raw compression options. The default option is a lossless compression mode, but alongside this are two 'High Efficiency' compression options. The 'HE*' mode delivers files around 1/2 the size of the uncompressed data, and the more compressed 'HE' files are typically around 1/3rd the size.

My question is that I keep hearing people say Z9 is inferior because it has to shoot jpg for 30 and 120 fps. But is that really true? Sound to me like these new 14 bit compressed Raw are the ones being used in high speed modes.

14 bit Raw, even highly compressed, is a whole bunch better than jpg.

So, am I full of beans? Is high frame rate Raw? Or jpg.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow