EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
OP Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,366
KEG - Re: iPhone 13 Pro Vs 12 Pro

KEG wrote:

So in short, no improvement over iPhone 12 Pro Max which got owned by Powershot SX60 in image quality.

The iPhone 13 Pro has several camera related advantages over the iPhone 12 Pro. Those differences may not be enough to convince consumers who already own an iPhone 12 Pro to spend even more money for a similar looking smartphone with some upgraded features. Most of which I have certainly not yet put to any form of test yet. But these are the advantages that come to mind....
* New (and impressive) Cinematic Mode with ProRez.
* New Super-Macro mode - which extends to video.
* Apple ProRAW (with improved computational algorithm.
* Larger 1.9µm pixels 12MP Sensor.
* Notably more powerful A15 Processor.
* Vastly Improved artificial Bokeh algorithm.
* Improved Lowlight Performance.
* Faster (aperture) f/1.5 Wide Angle lens.
* Faster (aperture) f/1.8 Ultra Wide Angle lens with 120 degree field of view.
* Larger SSD storage available (up to 1TB).
* 77mm camera (3x instead of 2.5x) with OIS.
* More powerful 3125 mAh battery.
* Considerably more video format options.
So as a photographic instrument, the comparison between optics and features makes for a compelling case for the new iPhone 13 Pro models. I selected the Max because I felt that I would like to trial using the larger screen and might benefit from the larger battery capacity. So far I think I made the right call. But compared to a dedicated camera, I'm going to have to spend more time with it... possibly shooting RAW for a while... before making a decision on how I feel about it as a serious photographic tool. For what it does, it's actually fairly impressive. But the results are somewhat inconsistent. The one thing everyone seems to love is the Macro capability... and yet that's the one thing I think could do with some fine tweaking. The artificial bokeh has certainly improved with this year's model although I'm told that the larger sensor in the 13 Pro is what helps with this...

Fake Bokeh from the iPhone 13 Pro

Fake Bokeh from the iPhone 13 Pro - this shot surprised me as it was taken at 11pm night and my office is fairly dark. The image is moderately clean and the bokeh is convincing. Any images taken in "Portrait" mode (which uses the Wide 1x lens by default) result in the Artificial bokeh being automatically applied..

iPhone 13 Pro - About to kick into Macro Mode

iPhone 13 Pro - Macro done right (insect is the size of a Mosquito)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow