Any real-world feedback on the Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242
Re: Legendary original Panasonic 45-200mm

Henry Richardson wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

I have the original version of this lens and find it to be quite good.

Most of the people here and, some reviewers, tested this lens when it first became available and with the original OIS.

This OIS and the subsequent firmware update for the OIS was not good enough for the lens at 200mm. This, plus that camera bodies of the time did not have IBIS or had the primitive 2 axis IBIS, did not help at all. This is why many say that the lens is very soft above 150mm and useless at 200mm.

When you pair this lens with a camera with 5 axis IBIS - in my case, the Oly EM5 II, the results are very good.

I have pointed this out many times but it falls on deaf ears and people do not want to know.

You are not the first one to come to appreciate the legendary original Panasonic 45-200mm.

Here are 2 photographers who write about the Panasonic 45-200mm a few years ago. The first one initially thought it wasn't good, but then discovered problems with his technique in using the lens. After that he was much more satisfied with the results.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/01/raised-expectations.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/08/zooms-vs-primes.html

Also it's important to note that the early m43 cameras had neither electronic shutter nor anti-shock.

H'mm, I must test mine again - after a 11 year hiatus with it. !!!

My original tests with the Panasonic G1 attached always produced VERY soft results anywhere near the 200mm mark - even when on a sturdy tripod.

The other problem with it was that it took a few milliseconds for the OIS in the lens to settle. So if you moved it very quickly and didn't pause briefly before hitting the shutter, you could at times get some strange optical results. Again please note my tests were all done with the original G1.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow