Viewfinder feature?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,461
Re: Viewfinder feature?

pjbw127 wrote:

My 2005 camera's viewfinder (and screen) shows the image from the processor before it's sent to the CompactFlash card.

Have you ever tried a more recent camera? Maybe something made in the last 10 years?

How do I search for a more modern camera which would have this extra feature? As opposed to current cameras where the viewfinder just shows what the sensor sees through the lens.

I don't know of any mirrorless cameras (or DSLRs using Live View on the rear screen) that don't display what has happened in the processor. They always display an image based on the JPEG that will be sent to the card.

This is how I can have a monochrome image in the viewfinder if that's what I want.

Most of the time I am happy to use the camera's auto-metering and auto-focus. But using the spot-metering I am able to set the overall exposure exactly as I want it. No fiddling about with Review !

More prosaically I can use the image displayed in the viewfinder as a manual exposure aid as it will show the effect of changing the exposure settings in the camera. In other words, I can see the effect of changing settings before I press the shutter button. No need for review.

-- hide signature --

Albert the lazy photographer
Having fun with my cameras in Herefordshire

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow