Any real-world feedback on the Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Allan Brown
Allan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: Any real-world feedback on the Lumix Vario 45-200mm v.II?

tpani wrote:

There is likely variation in the quality of the 45-200mm, and the image stabilization does not at all explain many/most of the complaints people have had about this lens.

I had the lens for a number of years, from 2010 until about 2014. At 200 mm, stopping down to f/8 or f/9 (at the cost of increased exposure times, and increased camera shake) improved the sharpness enough for me to be satisfied. I avoided shooting it wide open at 200mm. So, clearly, the question in my case was not about image stabilization. (I eventually replaced the 45-200mm by the 35-100mm f/4-5.6 (which is very sharp, one of the best non-expensive m43 lenses I know), and the 75-300mm (which is much better wide open at the longest focal length than my 45-200mm was, and better wide open than the 45-200mm stopped down to f/8 or f/9.)

Well, perhaps there is some variation in the IQ of the lens but that is true of many lenses - even the Leica branded ones.

My copy of the 45-200 also improves slightly as I stop down but I get sharp images when wide open at 200mm on a regular basis.

I still say that stabilization is the main cause of softness. The few reports that I have seen for the MkII version say that it is sharp. The only real difference between the two versions is the OIS, since the glass is the same,

I also have the 35-100 f4-5.6. It is very sharp and very good IQ but it does not go to 200mm. This is a point that many miss - all the other suggestions for lenses that are supposedly better than the 45-200, none of them have that range. If you want that range, which is very useful, there aren't many choices and, all of them are very expensive.

If only Panasonic would make a f4-5.6 version of the 50-200 lens.

Allan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow