Lens for little kids' sports and events

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 319
Lens for little kids' sports and events

I have a toddler who's starting to do various far-away activities: T-ball, soccer, performances, etc. Mostly outdoors, but sometimes indoors. I'd like to get a lens to capture these events. Ideally, I'd prefer to keep things pretty compact. These are the lenses I'm considering:

• 50 f/2
  • 90 f/2
  • 18-55
  • 16-55
  • 16-80
  • 18-135
  • 50-140
  • 70-300
  • 55-200
  • XC 50-230

Ha—I've basically listed all the lenses! Yet another possibility is to wait for the rumored new version of the 56, next year. My goal is to be able to capture some fast action, but also to get some portraits. I'm a little befuddled by the number of options.

Are any of you guys experienced in the kids'-sports sub-genre? What kind of reach should I be looking for? He's three going on four, so I'm never that far away. But of course distances will increase with time. Is it plausible for me to get by with zero lens switching, by using a lens like the 16-55 or 16-80? Or is it wiser to pick up a longer lens? Whatever I pick, I'll be adding it to a fairly minimal Fuji kit: just the 27 f/2.8 and 35 f/1.4.

What are you all using for these kinds of kids' events?

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100V
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow