VERY HARD FALL = The Opportunity to Test Build Quality (lol)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RazorSharpWO
RazorSharpWO Contributing Member • Posts: 805
VERY HARD FALL = The Opportunity to Test Build Quality (lol)

It's been said, "Always look on the bright side," which is what I'm trying to do here
After making a detailed, thoughtful post about, my favorite butterfly rig ... I promptly set out to destroy it, by taking a hard fall: here's how it went down:

I was trying to take a picture of a butterfly I had never seen before. In order to get a little bit closer, I had to step over a boulder, and eventually position both of my feet close together, in a tiny space between two boulders, so I could fill the frame enough. I had to get closer, as it was a very small butterfly.

In doing so, I had to let go of my dog's leash and we were in wild country. I start to shoot-away at the butterfly, and was completely immersed in taking photos โ€” when I see my dog start to run toward something up the mountain side ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Completely forgetting that my feet were close together, wedged between two boulders (hey, I was lost in taking photos), I attempted a frantic running motion to grab my dog's leash โ€” and my feet went nowhere ๐Ÿ˜…

I plummeted my whole momentum to my left side, dumping my entire bodyweight onto my left forearm and my camera/lens/TC/extension tubes simultaneously — and all of it exploded apart, landing in the dirt, rocks, and gravel ๐Ÿ˜–

After assessing the damages, I had a good, hardy laugh at myself, and was thankful no one was around to see โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‡

ME: The work of a genius ... adding to the collection of scar tissue.

Z7 II CAMERA: Works perfectly, but definitely lowered the resale value ...

Z 70-200/2.8 S LENS: Scuffed outside, but glass is still perfect and mount still okay.

Z 2x TELECONVERTER: Dinged outside, but glass and mount unblemished.

KENKO 16mm EXT. TUBE: Kaput, DOA, finished.

Of all the falls and bumps my camera gear has been through, this was the hardest one. The downward motion of my arm and hand was basically like a whip, culminating and slamming everything down on my forearm + camera gear. The set literally exploded apart. My camera was laying with the open mount/sensor exposed, my lens was about a foot away, TC still on it, and my fragmented (half inside my Z TC, half on the ground somewhere else) Kenko Z-Mount Ext. Tube was destroyed.

Sand and gravel were inside my Z7 II sensor, in my TC, etc. While all my gear is banged-up now, only the Ext. Tube is destroyed. The rest of the gear (although banged up a bit) still works perfectly ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™Œ

Hey, but at least I got my dog!

PS: I still haven't cleaned the rocks out of my forearm, as I have to process my images firstย 

PPS: The last time I fell in a collection of boulders, I had the presence of mind to turn-around mid-fall, cradle my 300 mm to my chest, and take the fall on my back. Yes, my back hurt, but my gear was untouched. This fall here was so abrupt, fast, and sudden ... I basically used my left hand to slam my gear onto the ground, with all my falling weight behind it.

PPPS: The great irony of all this was the butterfly that caused all this was a Fatal Metalmark ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Fatal Metalmark (Calephelis nemesis)

Be careful out there ...

-- hide signature --
 RazorSharpWO's gear list:RazorSharpWO's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +19 more
Nikon Z7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow