Pentax problem: the old is almost as good as the new

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 844
Pentax problem: the old is almost as good as the new

Besides my 'new' 2017 K-70, I have an even older 2013 K-5 IIs. Charged its great battery, put on an 18-135 WR lens, and went over a friend's truly Victorian home today for morning coffee. With no square inch of wall space undecorated, had to take a few photos. And was surprised, editing tonight in Lightroom, to see how well the old K-5 IIs still works, with its 16 mp images more than large enough for my non-large-print purposes.

Was also surprised how similar the K-70 and K-5IIs are ergonomically. They feel almost the same. Both are large and heavy... not GR weight, nowhere near. And they work almost the same... their controls are far more similar than different.

And that got me thinking — how do you build a profitable camera company if your product from 10 years ago is almost as good as this year's? No planned obsolescence here... no styling changes to speak of. For this consumer, of course it is wonderful. A 10-year-old electro-mechanical complex device happily as good as when it was new. Works for me!

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70
Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow