AF while zooming

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Goatruckus Contributing Member • Posts: 598
AF while zooming

I've got an A6300 and recently bought a Sony 70-350 zoom which I want to use for soccer games. I shot half a game with this lens and the next half with my adapted Sigma 100-400 C to compare the keeper rates. The Sony was quicker to lock onto a player but my focus hit rate on over 1000 shots was essentially the same as the adapted lens - disappointing and confusing to say the least.

I figured out later with testing that the Sony lens has very poor AF while turning the zoom ring. I shot a continuous burst while mounted on a tripod pointing at stationary subject, while slowly turning the zoom through the range. Virtually all my shots in the middle of the zoom range were out of focus while the Sigma lens they were virtually all in focus. While shooting I always see dancing green squares in the Sigma and in the Sony they are frequently absent. I've tried 3 copies of the Sony lens...

Is there a setting in the camera that would fix this? I've tried switching to AF priority but that just slows the framerate way down.  Switching to "fast" AF doesn't help either.

Would this problem go away with a newer body?

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow