Would I be mad to move from the A7RII to A7IV?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 12,117
Re: Would I be mad to move from the A7RII to A7IV?

ahaslett wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Will it beat the 'silky' rendering of the A7rII? Doubtful, not at all in the style of your example images.

I'm bemused by this statement. How is silky rendering (and I'm unclear what that means) a camera rather than settings/post process function?

Despite it being the older sensor, the A7rII still stands as a high water mark:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20ILCE-1,Sony%20ILCE-7M2,Sony%20ILCE-7M3,Sony%20ILCE-7RM2,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4,Sony%20ILCE-9

(A7iv not yet included)

If you shoot high ISO, bump into shadow noise, need resolution, the A7rII still produces the 'best' images. i am awaiting the 33Mp results from the A7iv, I expect it may come close.

The 24Mp sensors do not match the 'smoothness' and the 62Mp sensors don't match the ISO (low) noise, unless you post-process the resolution downwards.

The word 'silky' captures this imho. Best comparison is the Nex-6 versus all A6xxx lines. The larger PDAF cells do get in the way, (Nex-6 didn't have any), and anyone who has shot the Nex-6 next to e.g., the A6000 will agree. AF is much better with the newer models, and the PDAF cells, but the rendering is different.

Post process, and optimizing for a fixed resolution, these differences can be mitigated, I agree.

As to specs, A7rII has 399 PDAF cells (25 CDAF), A7rIV has 567 PDAF (425 CDAF).

Low light AF of the A7R2 is much worse than the A7R4, in case that matters. Being a low ISO shooter, I find the A7R4 even silkier than my much loved A7R2. Where the A7R2 won out was being smaller, lighter and more comfortable to hold.

Andrew

You may be right, but I don't go past ISO 25k. Below 25k, the A7rII scores higher:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20ILCE-7RM2,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4

My normal max is ISO 600, so the different dual-gain switchover on the R4 works for me. At base ISO, the R1 still inches it (just).

Andrew

Makes sense, I misread 'low iso' as 'high iso'.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jay
Jay
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow