phone print quality questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,997
phone print quality questions

I am discovering how free I feel when I leave my Sony a7r4 and lenses at home when traveling. When I visit family or go on some sort of a beach vacation I am not concerned about taking photos I can create a 6'x4' print from. But sometimes a photo op pops up where I might want to make a good size print, I mainly like to print canvas and most prints would be no larger then 30"x20". I have no doubt for smaller prints phone quality is good enough. Just not sure about something as large as 30"x20".

On a recent family vacation my nephew had a print made of the Grand Tetons that was 36"x36" from an iPhone 6. When viewing from about 8 - 10 feet away I was surprised how good it looked, when looking at it from a couple of feet away it looked pretty bad, so that was a good example for me how viewing distance impacts a print. For me the print quality was not acceptable to hang on a wall.

I am going on an all inclusive resort in Cancun early December. I am not going to take my Sony a7r4. I am debating about buying a used Sony RX100 VII or upgrading my Samsung Note 10 phone to the Pixel 6 Pro for the trip. What I like about phone cameras is how well they do in scenes with a lot of contrast, like a resort on a bright sunny day. I am really impressed how well the software does on phones. What I don't like is how hard it is to see what I am going to shoot on a bright sunny day and the extra steps needed to post photos on social media.

I do not like face recognition so Apple phones are ruled out for me. I debate about waiting to see what Samsung does (which would not be in time for my trip), but the Pixel Pro is intriguing me, hopefully the camera for larger prints would be an upgrade over my Note 10 plus. I know the Pixel Pro has more megapixels for the main camera but the ultra wide camera (which I like to use a lot} does not appear to be any better then my Samsung. Telephoto appears to be better with the new Pixel Pro.

Bottom line is how good can 30"x20" canvas print can look using the Pixel 6 Pro under decent lighting conditions? I am curious if using panorama mode increases the resolution. I know stitching photos together does, but I wonder if phones or cameras that use the panorama mode throw away the extra pixels.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow