I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
SilvanBromide Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
Re: I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

Jared Weber wrote:

Who else doesn’t shoot video using their camera? Would it make sense for Sony to have a full frame camera catered to stills only shooters?

No, it would not make any sense.

Sony could get rid of all the fancy video features and focus the camera purely on photography. I would love to see Sony do this one day.

A camera that lacked video features (but was otherwise equivalent) would be *more* expensive.

Savings (if any) from omitting video (which is mostly simply included software) would be negligible. Impacts on market share would be significant. Because of the operation of basic economic principles, more people will buy a camera that appeals to three markets (stills shooters, video shooters and hybrid shooters) than a camera that appeals only to stills shooters.

Losing the advantage of economy of scale would directly impact prices. But it would also impede every other aspect of design, production and marketing, including (perhaps most importantly), R&D.

-- hide signature --
 SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow