D780 AF problem for dogs with black faces

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 18,488
Re: Pretty much the same problem caused me to adopt BBF

Kelley Hoffman wrote:

Thank you so much. I will try some of these settings if I can figure out where lol

Kelley

Look up articles on BBF (Back Button Focus) to get explanations about the settings.   Generally speaking, you need to:

1. Set a menu option for "AF-on Only", which takes autofocus away from the half-push of the shutter button.   When you press the shutter release, you want the camera to take a shot, regardless of whether or not the AF point(s) being used are in focus.  (You determine when the focus has been achieved by lifting your thumb off the AF-on button.  This means gaining a bit of skill, but it also means you can easily focus-and-recompose.)

2. Set the AF to AF-C (continuous) instead of AF-S.   This changes the type of autofocus to continuously track a focus point.   Very useful for moving subjects.

3. In the camera's Custom settings menu for autofocus, change the AF-C mode to "Release Priority" instead of "Focus Priority".   This allows you to take an image regardless of focus point being over something in focus.  For instance, when the focus point is over a black dog that the camera can't really detect.   You've already pre-focused though, so you just take the shot when you need to.

And there you have it.  Three settings that allow you to - without changing any settings - take a shot of a still subject in-focus, take a focus tracking shot of a moving subject, and use focus-and-recompose techniques.  It does take a bit of practice to get your thumb used to focusing.

A related setting I have in my customized My Menu is the setting to turn AF-on Only back off again.  I generally do this when I hand the camera to someone else to take a picture of me, since they don't generally understand BBF.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow