(Unwilling?) people in your photos

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iljitsch Senior Member • Posts: 1,094
(Unwilling?) people in your photos

When you go about your business as a photographer, people may end up in your shot. How do you deal with that? When do things start to get creepy? Or, on the other hand, when do people unreasonably limit your "right" to take photos in public?

From what I know about the laws in the US and in several European countries, it is in principle legal to take photos in public when there is no expectation of privacy. So I'm going to assume that as a baseline.

But that still leaves room to be a creep with the law on your side. I'm going to assume we don't want to be creeps.

So what is reasonable?

Shooting at the playground without bringing a kid... probably not.

Taking a photo of a busy street with tons of people far enough that it's unlikely anyone could be recognized... I'd say, definitely fine.

Anytime no face is visible: probably fine.

What I find strange is that sometimes people feel really uncomfortable with a big lens pointed in their direction, sometimes even at significant distances, while 200 other people are shooting with cell phones everywhere and uploading photos to Facebook with its face recognition systems. I'd say the latter is more course for concern than the former.

-- hide signature --

I ignore users who quote excessively. Life is too short to read the same text again and again.

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow