Once upon a time

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,478
Once upon a time

I spent a lot of money on my C-8080 and a scuba housing for it, but, eventually, it was mostly used for close-ups with flash.

I recently upgraded my macOS, and got my Aperture working like it used to do a long time ago, without the slightest hitch, (using the Reactivate app) so here are a few old images.

South of here, a day's drive out into nowhere, is a historical artifact, the Grimmeton station. A long-wave transmitter, used for telegraphy of business mails, one of six in the world (this is the only one complete, with a working transmitter, and transmitting once a year. The transmitter in Japan was bombed during the war. The mails were encoded, using a Hagelin device, invented by a Swede but used all over the world, not least by US forces during WW II. There were once six of these sites, but this is the only one left in working order (the design is mostly American, most of the machinery being American).

The German Enigma (the name given to it by the British intelligence) was a development of this device, by the way.

Anyway, everything is still in place, plus numerous newer transmitters and antennas, some used for normal broadcasting, some used for communicating with submarines, some are used for commercial traffic with civilian ships, and some are ...

But the old transmitter is still in working order and uses an electric motor to power the generator that generates the low-frequency signal for the mile-long antenna array.

The big T-like poles carry the transmitting wires, not easily seen, to the left are two commercial TV antennas and the rest is something else. Camera: C-8080, via Aperture to DxO PhotoLab 5, slight processing along the way.

This is probably the original key that was used a hundred years ago

An old transmitter like this is very much a mechanical machine so it needs a sizable workshop:

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow