Autofocus Tracking Modes Guidance

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 940
Autofocus Tracking Modes Guidance

Sony has AF modes in both plain and plus tracking variations. Lets take one for example:

• Flexible Spot - Medium
  • Flexible Spot - Medium + Tracking

Is it as simple as saying whether you want the camera AI to track or you, or you want to track for yourself?

If it were that simple, I guess it would come down to knowing whether the AI’s tracking can be relied upon, or you think you can be more accurate and reliable manually.

That would seem to mean that certain scenarios would prompt wanting camera AI tracking,  while in others, maybe camera AI tracking does worse than I could.

Frankly, I have been shooting almost exclusively with tracking variations of the Area Modes and fairly happy with what I get.

Can anyone defend the non-tracking modes, or explain what problems they have with the Tracking variations, to get at when one is better than the other (presumably in both directions).

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A9ii | FE 20/1.8 G; FE 35/1.4 GM; Sigma 85/1.4 Art | Leica Elmarit 28 ASPH; FE 40/2.8 G; Sigma 90/2.8 C | Sigma 24-70/2.8 Art; Tamron 70-180/2.8 | FE 200-600 G; Sigma 100-400 OS | Sigma 28-70/2.8 C; Tamron 28-200

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a9 II Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow